March 31, 2013

Ryan's World - I Thank God for Unanswered Prayer

Recently, I was reminded of the old Garth Brook’s song, “I Thank God for Unanswered Prayers.” It’s a great song about being fortunate you didn’t hook up with the one that you thought would be the love of your life, but instead finding your soul-mate in the person you are with. Well, this week’s column has nothing to do with that lovey dovey junk. Yes, I am grateful I married my soul-mate and she is the perfect person for me…blah, blah, blah. Even more than that, I am extremely thankful she talked me out of going to Disney with her and my oldest daughter on a school trip.

I’m sure my wife is not unlike every other man’s wife in that she doesn’t need to say anything to talk me out of doing something. It is the look she gives me that makes me feel it is my idea not to do something. It almost is as if she is saying, “Why yes Ryan, why don’t you go ahead and buy that 80-inch LCD flat screen television,” and at the same time shaking her head no.

When my wife decided to go on this trip she asked me if I wanted to go. I could tell that she was only asking to be courteous and the correct response should be, “No, honey. I would prefer to stay home with our youngest daughter while you go.” There were those little hints that I picked up on like “Wow, this is going to be expensive,” and “You know, the schedule looks like everything is going to be rushed and we won’t be staying at any of the parks very long.” Without telling me I can’t go, she gently guided me into making the decision not to go. It was pure genius on her part.

I must admit, there was some trepidation about being home with and taking care of my youngest daughter. As I have explained before – neither one of us are morning people and both of us tend to be a wee bit grumpy (slight understatement). I was worried I would lose my cool because she lost her cool; my daughter was only worried that I would lose my cool because she doesn’t think she does anything wrong; and my wife was worried we would pull each other’s hair out. As it turns out, neither of us were grumpy. I did have one little hiccup in the taking care of her part of my time with her. The very first day were alone, I got a call from the school that my youngest had a toothache. I promptly (about two hours later because I almost forgot) took some medicine to the school. When she walked into the office, I immediately asked, “Did I let you go to school wearing that?” She just looked up at me and grinned. I made sure she was dressed a lot better the rest of the week, almost. We had one other incident where she had to go to a meeting with me. I made sure she was wearing nice jeans and a shirt. As we get closer to where I need to be, I look down at her feet and see that she is wearing flip flops (with socks) in 30-degree weather.

At first I was a little jealous that my wife was going to the mouse’s house and trading the 30-degree temperatures for 80-degrees plus. That jealousy melted away one phone call after another. She was chaperoning eight teenage girls – need I say more? It was one drama-filled episode after another. Plus, my wife and oldest were arguing the entire trip and my mother-in-law went with them. I think I got the better end of the deal.

God may have saved me from that torture, but I am still praying for the 80-inch LCD flat screen television. I’m hoping that one will be answered.

You can keep up with my world on Facebook, visit www.facebook.com/ryans.world.1 and click “Like.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm
thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for rookie blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate it.



my web-site ... mms

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been following your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent work!

My website; http://ncsmed.org.fj/index.php?option=com_blog&View=comments&pid=1398930&Itemid=0

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Printable Coupons