March 24, 2013

Joy's Junque - The Three Stages of Health

When did they start making gummie vitamins for grownups?!? Well, all I have to say is awesome…I discovered them during my most recent health kick and I love the idea of them. This way, I feel like I’m eating candy in the middle of the day, but I’m getting healthy, too. I know it seems pathetic, even as adults we need a “treat” to be good.

Some of you who know me are probably wondering “what does she mean, most recent health kick? Doesn’t she walk a lot, doesn’t she do yoga every day?” Well, yes, but..

Most of us do go through three major stages of health kicks. I think it officially starts when you look at your first child and have one of three thoughts: “She’s awesome so I have to be healthy and interesting and vibrant as this child grows.” Or “I wonder if I can still zip my jeans.” Or “Wow, 18 or more years of total responsibility…I better get in shape.”

So, we start the vitamins, aerobics classes and try to squeeze in an art class and some kind of workshop or two. Let’s be honest, it gets us out of the house for a while.

That soon dies down when we realize we are running up and down a flight of stairs 10 times a day, lifting weights (kids) and are too poor to buy junk food. We’re in great shape. And tired.

Then, it happens again around mid-life. We look at that first child and have one of three thoughts: “When did she start driving and did I become that healthy and interesting and vibrant person I wanted to be?” Or “How will I look in this dress for all the high school graduations I’m going to this year?” Or “Wow, 40 more years of me…I better get in shape.”

So we start the vitamins, aerobics and try to squeeze in an art class and some kind of workshop or two.

That dies down after a while, even if we realize we are not running up and down a flight of stairs 10 times a day, the heaviest weight we lift is a pound of coffee (sorry, 13 ounces) and we do have a little more money to buy junk food. We’re not really in great shape. But for the first time in years, the house is quiet in the evening, so after a while, we think we owe it to ourselves to just sit there and enjoy it.

Then, the major ‘health kick’ starts when we reach a certain age, look at that first grandchild and have one of three thoughts: “I hope she doesn’t think I smell like menthol and am I that healthy and interesting and vibrant person I wanted to be?” or “Thank goodness they make jeans with elastic waists and can I wear them to my high school reunion?” or “Wow, how many more years of me? I better get in shape.”

So we start the vitamins, find a friend to walk with and squeeze in a gentle yoga class and some kind of workshop or two. This time it doesn’t die down after a while because we realize we are walking up and down a flight of stairs once a day at best, the heaviest weight we lift is the morning paper and we do have a little more money to buy fruits and veggies. But for the first time in years, the house is a little too quiet in the evening so we get out and do something.

Proud to say, I’m in this last phase of ‘health kicks’ and though every day I try to get all the recommended amount of fruits and veggies in, every once in a while, I need my apple in a fritter.

Thank goodness for my gummie vitamins…



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Printable Coupons