January 13, 2013

I promise, I will get the hang of my gadgets

This past Christmas I got a few gadgets. Or as my kids call them, “universal cannot live without this will make your life so much easier I don’t know how I lived without these ever, ever, ever…” things.

And, I have to admit, I’ve mentioned wanting all of them.

Take the smart phone for instance. Over the past few years, I’ve seen friends and colleagues head for their smart phones for weather reports, phone numbers, directions and an occasional movie or two. I wanted one. The family did me proud – I’ve got every bell and whistle you can imagine. And apps – boy have I got apps – I can ring up my favorite news cast, TV show, music or movie at the flick of a finger; I can make movies, Facebook friends and talk to the chick who knows everything. I have a Twitter account and even a twitter fan from Chile and I swear, I haven’t twittered yet. I want to get the hang of it soon, so I can see my opinions run across the bottom of countless news shows. Or maybe I’ll just tell the chick to twitter for me, seems she can do everything else. She probably knows the guy from Chile.

The kids gave me a crash course on Christmas Eve, but it was a little overwhelming. The first day my phone and I were on our own, I hung up on my husband twice trying to find the answer button. I’m slowly getting the hang of it.

Then there is my own web page and blog site, signed, sealed and designed by one of the kids. This, too, I have mentioned wanting. Given my habit of spouting off about, well, everything, how cool would it be to have my own forum? Well, I got it and now I can’t think of a thing to say, other than texting the son who developed it for me with “I know I have to keep it updated….” But that, too, was presented to me in a short blast of instruction. I’m still trying to figure out how to replace the Christmas decorations on the home page. I’ll get the hang of it, I know I will. In the meantime, world, be patient, I’ll be spouting off soon.

After years of hearing me moan about the sad state of my TV affairs – I know you all hear me – paying for 1,000 stations and only watching five – one of the kids got me a box to hook up to my TV, opening a whole world of old TV shows, movies, music and more into my living room. Directions on this were given to me after my annual Christmas afternoon nap, which explains why a Rugrats marathon is still running and I’m kind of afraid to mess with it. I know once I get the hang of it, it will all be worth it. I can’t wait until some snowy Sunday afternoon when I can cuddle up and watch all the episodes of, oh, I don’t know, Hill Street Blues or, I know, The West Wing. Or, hey, how about I, Claudius? This could be dangerous…A whole Sunday devoted to old TV shows or movies, sipping herbal tea and resting on my massage pillow…oh, yes, I will get the hang of this gadget.

Although I always considered myself a purist in the reading department - wanting the feel of the book or magazine in my hand, loving the smell of the print – I have to admit my new Kindle is pretty cool. Again, a crash course on operation, but I think I’ve figured out how to get the free books and I understand you can download library books and the library can just zap them back when due. Awesome! Because a few days after Christmas, I was retrieving something from my car, when I saw it…the only library book I’ve checked out in years…all alone on the back seat…and about a month overdue. I reached in my purse and grabbed the reader. I will get the hang of the feel of plastic in my hand.

In all fairness to me and my local library, the book should have beeped or texted or left me an email! Or told that chick on my phone to call me!!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Printable Coupons